After ~49 minutes of standing and talking (12:07-12:56):
- I stoicly stated to over a dozen people in cars through a megaphone: “When you go inside that grocery store I want you to ask yourself a simple question: are my taste buds more important than life itself? As you know, there is a current egg shortage. This is due to avian flu. As we speak, hundreds of thousands of birds are packed into warehouses where they are forced to grovel in their own shit, burning their feathers and their eyes. And now as we speak, they are being broiled alive in a process called Ventilation Shutdown, in which they cut off all air circulation and pump heat into the warehouses to murder the birds en mass so you can have your eggs. If eating these animal products are a choice, why do you choose to be cruel? Culture? I want to remind you that once upon a time it was culturally appropriate to treat women as subserviant and black people as slaves. Culture is not a good reference for our morality…” and then repeat as the red light only lasts so long.
- I made sure to speak to people in cars where they had companion animals like a dog. I of course referenced their dog and asked them to imagine how angry and sad they would feel if their dog was a part of such atrocities.
- Many individuals visibly turning up the volume on their radio when I was next to them. I made sure to speak louder.
- 1 group of around 15 individuals (fraternity) walking by and shouting back various nonsense.
- 1 individual (caucasian appearing; male presenting) continuing to mock the message by eating Taco Bell in their car like a typical American.
- 1 individual (caucasian/male sounding) cowardly yelling from their car “what about veal tho?”
- 1 heterosexual couple (2 caucasian appearing individuals) at first nervously laughing, but then nodding their head along, looking like they were seriously considering the weight of the words.
- 1 individual (caucasian appearing; male presenting) rolling down their window and asking, “I’m curious, why are you doing this?.” After a quick statement on animal rights, he seemed to understand, but began to try to justify “humane” animal consumption before the green light forced him to leave.
Honestly, this was draining. Very draining. I felt like I did all the right things this time, now it’s just time to do this on campus among the people walking by.